Re: New release of XML Spec DTD/Stylesheets

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 09:53, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> was heard to say:
> | I'd like a few addition to the next version:
> | - would it be possible to define a namespace for the xmlspec elements?
> |   http://www.w3.org/2002/08/xmlspec (or something like this).
>
> No. Doing so would break every existing stylesheet for xmlspec.

then let's change the stylesheet as well. I've been working with Ian on
an issue system designed for the W3C Process and I'd like to reuse the
xmlspec elements as much as possible.

> | - would it possible to use xlink? ie s/href/xlink:href/
>
> Yes. But it would be a significant backwards-incompatibility problem.
> Certainly not something I'd want to do before a 3.0 release.

ok, but since we're going to have to replace the DTDs and stylesheets,
why don't we bite the bullet and switch to xmlspec v3.0 then. Lots of
WGs already have workarounds to be in sync with the latest pubrules so
the value of v2.2 is not really significant for them.

> | - the DOM added two attributes on the DOM extensions in xmlspec:
> |  <!--
> |   #1999-07-21: lehors: Added since and version attributes to most idl elements
> |   -->
> |  <!--    since attribute:
> |          Provides the version in which the element was introduced. -->
> |  <!ENTITY % idl-since.att
> |          'since                  CDATA           #IMPLIED'>
> |
> |  <!--    version attribute:
> |          Provides the version in which the element was modified. -->
> |  <!ENTITY % idl-version.att
> |          'version                CDATA           #IMPLIED'>
> |
> | Have a look at [1] to see where we use them. I quickly adapted your
> | version with what we're using today. If you add the two attributes, I'll
> | be able to use v2.2 without modifying at all.
>
> Good to know. Eve, Sabine, and I are (slowly) working on gathering
> requirements for 3.0 by looking at what extensions other groups have
> made. Ideally, we'll be able to produce a 3.0 that few groups will
> need to customize.
>
> | Some examples:
> |   <method name="insertBefore" id="ID-952280727" version='DOM Level 3'>
> |   <method name="getUserData" id='Node3-getUserData' since="DOM Level 3">
>
> FWIW, I've become convinced that putting human readable text in
> attribute values is a bad thing. It's just not properly
> internationalizable. I suggest instead that you use a keyword in the
> version attribute and have the stylesheets "do the right thing".

I'm going to chew this and see if we can come up with something better.

Philippe