RE: License/Attribution for SSN/SOSA?

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 09:16:44 +0000
To: letters <letters@posteo.de>, "site-comments@w3.org" <site-comments@w3.org>

The top of https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-ssn/ links to

https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/ipr-notice-20021231#Copyright
and
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/doc-license

which applies to the recommendation document.

The SSN/SOSA ontologies themselves

> The SSN ontology is available at http://www.w3.org/ns/ssn/.
> The SOSA ontology is available at http://www.w3.org/ns/sosa/.

..are covered by the (perhaps more) liberal BSD-like W3C software license, as declared within their RDF representation:

  dcterms:license <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/copyright-software-and-document> ;
  dcterms:license <http://www.opengeospatial.org/ogc/Software> ;

I believe you may in this case choose which of the two licenses you want to reuse the ontology files under.

See https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/copyright-software-and-document for details.

As stated above, for attribution a text like this would work:

> This software or document includes material copied from or derived from [title and URI of the W3C document]. Copyright  [YEAR] W3C (MIT, ERCIM, Keio, Beihang)."

title would for you then be Semantic Sensor Network Ontology
and for URI use "This Version" aka https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/REC-vocab-ssn-20171019/

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
The University of Manchester