Re: Blocked W3C Validator Requests

Hello Corey,

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 04:59 , O'Brien, Corey (US - Harrisburg) <coobrien@deloitte.com> wrote:
>

> I work for a large company with a large project that needs to be HTML validated.  We have a testing team of 15-20 developers and they are accessing the HTML validator from within our corporate network.  We are getting the abuse lockout and cannot use the validator any more.  Is there some sort of solution that we can try?
>
> Thank you.

We do have a FAQ for this:
  https://www.w3.org/Help/Webmaster#block

A solution is to run your own instance of the validator, and to have the
students use that instead during the lesson.

The instructions for running your own instance of validator are here:

https://validator.github.io/validator/#web-based-checking

The steps are pretty simple:

1. Download a vnu.jar release from one of the following places:

   -
https://github.com/validator/validator/releases/latest

   -
https://sideshowbarker.net/releases/jar/

2. Invoke the vnu.jar file on some host on your network like this:

     java -cp ~/vnu.jar nu.validator.servlet.Main 8888

That will cause the validator to be accessible from port 8888 on that host.
For example, if you install it on a machine named intranet.cgs.act.edu.au,
then students would find the validator UI here:

http://intranet.cgs.act.edu.au:8888

Of course that requires you have access to some host like that to run it
on (or can ask your IT staff to run it on a host for you).

Note that it also requires the latest version of the Java runtime (Java 8) to
be installed on the host. I will not run on a system with Java 7 or earlier.

Should you experience any trouble, please, let us know.

Best regards,

Coralie

—
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  http://www.w3.org