Re: w3.org search box

Hello Tom,

On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:12:27 +0200,
<3s2unl+ao1ld3pwpert8@guerrillamail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Users of your website like me who want to use the search box are
> redirected to a Google screen saying this:
>
>> Before you continue…
>> To be consistent with data protection laws, we’re askingyou to take a
>> moment to review key points of Google’sPrivacy Policy. This isn’t about
>> a change we’ve made —it’s just a chance to review some key points.
>>
>> We’ll need you to do this in order to continue using Googleservices.
>
> On the face of it, it looks like a very political box that intersects
> with
> a lot of controversy I currently hear about. It would be nice if you had
> way to let us search your website in some other way.
>
> Of course, users are always free to search w3.org on their favourite
> search engine – but then why keep a search box on w3.org at all?

People look for a search box on web sites, this is mildly more convenient
than not having one, and we've had it for years.
However, changing our external search engine in the current website design
is feasible, and we had a project to change and enhance our search
services but it had to be tabled in light of other priorities. Until we
can proceed, we have decided to leave it as is.

Thanks for your comment. It's helpful to get such feedback and certainly
helps us figure out priorities.

Best regards,
Coralie

--