Re: Community Groups: publishing 2d draft of a report

Hi Florent,

I'm back from vacation. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Some options that
come to mind:

 * Leave things as they are, with two drafts listed on the CG home page.
 * Remove one of the drafts and replace the "latest version URI" with a URI to a group
   wiki page (or Wordpress page) that lists all the drafts.
 * Remove one of the drafts (say, the later one) and edit the specification in place at
   http://expath.org/spec/binary/20130312

Thanks!

Ian

On Aug 8, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5 August 2013 16:44, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer!
>>
>>> The CG publication model is that the URI that is published is
>>> that of the latest version.  Therefore, the expectation is that
>>> you republish in place.
>>
>> Interesting.  From the fact that we have to publish at least
>> twice (the first draft then the final version), I inferred we had
>> to republish every version.
>
> You are welcome to publish dated drafts if that meets your needs.
> But the publication system is only set up for in-place updates, which
> I think is the more common scenario.
>

>> What we have for now in EXPath
>> follows (somewhat) the rules for TR (well at least for XSLT and
>> XQuery recommendations):
>>
>>   - a "latest version" URI (ending with .../binary)
>>   - a "dated" URI (ending with .../binary/20130730)
>>   - a "versioned final" URI (ending with .../binary/1.0)
>>
>> So if I understand correctly, we should use the "latest
>> version" URI for drafts, even though they will point to the final
>> report once it will have been published (so can't use the
>> "publish" form to announce a new version of a draft through the
>> CG website).
>>
>> Or we could rather continue to use the "dated" URIs, ending up
>> with several items for different draft versions (if we make sure
>> we name the reports like "Binary Module, draft 31st July 2013").
>> So we would have the list of all publications on the CG homepage.
>
> I have two scenarios in mind in particular:
>
> 1) The "typical" scenario:
>
> * All drafts are edited in place.
> * Final drafts are given dated URIs and are unchanging. Implication: You can't reuse the
>   latest version URI for final specifications.
>
>   In this scenario, the draft is only listed once on the group's home page. People follow the link
>   to find the full history page.
>
> 2) The "WG-like" scenario:
>
> * The "latest version URI" points to a wiki page that lists the full history of drafts. The group manages
>   this page manually. Each draft has its own URI and the group manages them as it wishes (e.g.,
>   once published, a draft does not change in place).
>
> * Final drafts are given dated URIs and are unchanging. (Same as for "typical" scenario).
>
> Ian
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Florent Georges
>> http://fgeorges.org/
>> http://h2oconsulting.be/
>>

> --
> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447

Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447