Re: Community Groups: publishing 2d draft of a report

On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org> wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 16:44, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>
>  Hi Ian,
>
>  Thank you for your answer!
>
>> The CG publication model is that the URI that is published is
>> that of the latest version.  Therefore, the expectation is that
>> you republish in place.
>
>  Interesting.  From the fact that we have to publish at least
> twice (the first draft then the final version), I inferred we had
> to republish every version.

You are welcome to publish dated drafts if that meets your needs.
But the publication system is only set up for in-place updates, which
I think is the more common scenario.

>  What we have for now in EXPath
> follows (somewhat) the rules for TR (well at least for XSLT and
> XQuery recommendations):
>
>    - a "latest version" URI (ending with .../binary)
>    - a "dated" URI (ending with .../binary/20130730)
>    - a "versioned final" URI (ending with .../binary/1.0)
>
>  So if I understand correctly, we should use the "latest
> version" URI for drafts, even though they will point to the final
> report once it will have been published (so can't use the
> "publish" form to announce a new version of a draft through the
> CG website).
>
>  Or we could rather continue to use the "dated" URIs, ending up
> with several items for different draft versions (if we make sure
> we name the reports like "Binary Module, draft 31st July 2013").
> So we would have the list of all publications on the CG homepage.

I have two scenarios in mind in particular:

1) The "typical" scenario:

 * All drafts are edited in place.
 * Final drafts are given dated URIs and are unchanging. Implication: You can't reuse the
   latest version URI for final specifications.

   In this scenario, the draft is only listed once on the group's home page. People follow the link
   to find the full history page.

2) The "WG-like" scenario:

 * The "latest version URI" points to a wiki page that lists the full history of drafts. The group manages
   this page manually. Each draft has its own URI and the group manages them as it wishes (e.g.,
   once published, a draft does not change in place).

 * Final drafts are given dated URIs and are unchanging. (Same as for "typical" scenario).

Ian

>  Regards,
>
> --
> Florent Georges
> http://fgeorges.org/
> http://h2oconsulting.be/

Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447