Re: Question on labels

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>At Sidar we believe that the requirement to have default place
>holder  text in search fields no longer holds, and causes some
>usability  problems for people with motor disabilities. Although we
>have not been  able to get a response from the WCAG group as to
>whether or not they  believe that checkpoint 10.3 - Until user
>agents handle empty controls  correctly, include default,
>place-holding characters in edit boxes and  text areas [1] - applies
>we would therefore suggest the following:

>(We would also recommend not putting the search into the taborder
>with  a tabindex different to the one it would naturally get - i.e.
>in order  to change its tab ordering, move it on the page).
>
>><input type="text" accesskey="E" size="15" tabindex="1"
>>id="inputField" name="q" maxlength="255" value="Search W3C" />
>
>I'm interested in your view on this approach.

All of this seems reasonable. I have made these changes. Would you
please check to see that they are correct?

http://www.w3.org/#search

This mailing list is not the venue for making changes to WCAG, though.
I suggest that you contact WAI again about the search field text.

Thanks for writing, Charles,
--
Susan Lesch           http://www.w3.org/People/Lesch/
mailto:lesch@w3.org               tel:+1.858.483.4819