Re: Not as strict as it could have been

Hi

> Chris Croome wrote:
> >
> > This is possible to get working without causing problems -- my home
> > page,
> > http://chris.croome.net/ has 2 columns for people using Netscape 6 and
> > IE5 and a single column for people using older browsers. This has all
> > been done using CSS and it's XHTML strict and it's been tested using
> > Lynx etc The CSS I used is all linked to as text files from here:
> > http://chris.croome.net/css/
>
> Yes, but that involves browser sniffing (if I'm not mistaken).
> I didn't mention that one design constraint was "no browser sniffing".

There is no browser sniffing on my site in terms of CSS :-)

All browsers get the default style sheet (or another if they
selected a different one using cookies) and then browsers that
support @import (IE 4/5 and NN6) get an additional style sheet
which sents some sizes using em's (this is to prevent IE3 doing
daft things) and finally there is a third style sheet only used
on the front page and this does the columns and it's called using
@import as well so Netscape 4 won't get it.

The only browser sniffing I have set up is a special message that
Lynx users get!

BTW this list archive is rather cool with all the Reply-to links
set up to work really well :-)

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>