Re: Not as strict as it could have been

Hi

> Re: Not as strict as it could have been
> From: Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)
> Date: Sat, Jul 01 2000
>
> We tried very hard to use CSS floats instead of a table, but
> the behavior across browsers was inconsistent and in some cases
> made the content inaccessible. Had the results been different
> across browsers but acceptable, we probably would have gone with
> floats.

This is possible to get working without causing problems -- my home
page,
http://chris.croome.net/ has 2 columns for people using Netscape 6 and
IE5 and a single column for people using older browsers. This has all
been done using CSS and it's XHTML strict and it's been tested using
Lynx etc The CSS I used is all linked to as text files from here:
http://chris.croome.net/css/

It is also possible to get this layout working for Netscape 4 and IE4
but I decided not to bother as I would have had to go for XHTML
transitional due to the hacks needed...

However I guess you want non-CSS browsers to get the column layout...
so no option but to use tables (yuck!).

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>