Re: W3C position on URIs http:// vs. https://

út 13. 6. 2023 v 17:37 odesílatel Hubauer, Thomas <
thomas.hubauer@siemens.com> napsal:

> Hi SemWeb community,
>

> One of my projects is considering making some of our ontologies accessible
> to customers. As part of these considerations, we have been discussing
> resolving ontology references (e.g. for imports) which lead us to some
> lengthy arguments about http:// vs. https:// as protocol part in our URIs
> (primarily ontology URIs, potentially element URIs as well).
>

> I am aware of a 2016 post (
> https://www.w3.org/blog/2016/05/https-and-the-semantic-weblinked-data/)
> stating that W3C currently considers http and https to be “equivalent” for
> w3c.org. However, the security guys I am working with are not too happy
> with this as using a http URI for downloading imported ontologies is
> vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack.
>

> I was unable to find any more recent statement by the W3C on the use of
> http vs. https. Specifically, I’d be interested to understand if this
> community (and the W3C) intend to stick with http for the foreseeable
> future, of if there’s any plans to migrate some/all URIs (e.g. ontology
> URIs but not element URIs) to https ? Would be nice for us to understand
> what “the outer world” plans so we can maybe take this as a blueprint for
> our own guidance on URIs.

I'm with TimBL on this:

"HTTPS Everywhere" considered harmful

https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Security-NotTheS.html

The Semantic Web has been around for a couple of decades.  Is there any
documented instance of an MITM attack on an ontology ever causing an issue?