Re: Identifiers with context

On 23/02/2023 15:37, Christoph, Pascal wrote:
> Am 23.02.23 um 15:04 schrieb Mikael Pesonen:
>> Hi, we are mapping non RDF data to RDF. There are entities that have
>> identifying codes, for example 1.1, 1.2, 2.1  and external organization
>> (lets name it "org1") is maintaining the codes.
>>
>> Using predicate dcterms:identifier the most straightforward way would be
>> to use literals:
>>
>> :entity1 dcterms:identifier "1.1" .
>
> "Comment: Recommended practice is to identify the resource by means of a string conforming to an identification system. Examples include International Standard Book Number (ISBN), Digital Object Identifier (DOI), and Uniform Resource Name (URN). Persistent identifiers should be provided as HTTP URIs." [1]

True but that link also states that the range of dcterms:identifier is
rdfs:Literal.

So the implication would be to use:

  :entity1 dcterms:identifier "https://www.our-company.com/ns/org1/1.1"

which is a bit unappealing, if conformant.

A third way I've seen used is to use typed literals:

  :entity1 dcterms:identifier
"1.1"^^<https://www.our-company.com/ns/org1/scheme>

Has the advantages or conforming to the range of dcterms:identifier, and
allowing the lexical form and authority URI to be separated while still
just using a simple literal. Disadvantage is that tool chains vary in
how happy they are with custom typed literals.

Dave