Re: Open Access publishing of Semantic Web research

Thanks Axel!

A couple of people were questioning what the status is for OA on ISWC,
and indeed Daniel Schwabe (in copy) mentioned that he negotiated OA for
ISWC indefinitely in 2006. It seems that many assumed that ISWC was
still OA. However, recent years of ISWC have been pay-walled.

I checked through previous years of ISWC, and found the following:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RU4rP5tg_IECE3KBeGdjbwCdcC0N0R5PYX2w9-Kv9gg/edit#gid=0

In summary, up to and including ISWC 2017 (with the exception of ISWC
2004), SpringerLink offers free PDFs for all papers with subscription,
making all but one ISWC prior to 2018 Diamond OA (I don't recall any
author fees/APCs in this time).

 From ISWC 2018 on, most papers are paywalled on SpringerLink, and no
preprints were published on the homepage (in some years prior, including
ISWC 2017, they were). Only when authors have paid APCs, it seems, are
ISWC 2018+ papers available as OA. Otherwise all other papers appear to
be paywalled.

So if the analysis is correct, ISWC regressed from Diamond OA to Hybrid
OA (OA only when authors pay) in 2018.

Best,
Aidan