Re: EasierRDF

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 8:46 PM Chris Mungall <cjmungall@lbl.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Martynas Jusevičius <
> martynas@atomgraph.com> wrote:
>
>> When most developers only know decades old software development methods
>> such as object-oriental and procedural programming languages and RDMBSs,
>> then they use them as hammers and expect everything else to be dumbed down
>> to become familiar nails.
>>

> Sorry that has been your experience, that hasn't been mine, many
> developers I know are keen (sometimes too keen) to apply new tools and
> frameworks, but also exhibit a good practical sense of what tool is most
> appropriate for the task at hand
>

>> Imagine if this discussion happened not in the Knowledge Graph but in the
>> AI community (EasierML?): "In our experience, developers do not like the
>> machine learning stack (PyTorch, Tensorflow etc.), they vastly prefer JSON,
>> TSVs, RDBMSs...". Said no one ever, because there would be no ML if this
>> was the case.
>>

> I don't follow the analogy here, I don't think JSON is an alternative to
> Tensorflow. If anything this exemplifies my point, since modern ML tools
> embrace the data stacks that developers were already familiar with (e.g
> pandas) rather than replace them.

My point is that JSON is no more an alternative to Tensorflow than it is an
alternative to RDF graphs. Both ML and KGs are rather complex technologies
solving complex problems, with application spaces that are larger and/or
different from what is usually done with JSON. So this EasierRDF debate is
comparing apples to oranges from the start.