Re: EasierRDF

Hi Melvin,

Thanks for your response.

                Can you please elaborate on where these properties “name”, “born”, “spouse” are coming from? Are they exhaustively listed somewhere? Or can any publisher simply use their “own” properties? If so, how do clients know what keys to use to get the name, birthdate, spouse, .. of objects from different publishers? (“born” is not as meaningful as you may think – it could refer to place of birth too, for instance) Or, what if some publishers want to be more fine-grained (first name, initials, last name)? Would clients need to utilize NLP methods?

It's just JSON.  So, same as the way any JSON API is used on the web today

                Let me clarify my question – are they agreed-upon terms or is everyone free to define their own keys?

I believe you’re equating the utility of ontologies with inferencing (correct me if I’m wrong), but IMO their core purpose is precisely to define shared vocabularies for concepts like these (first/last name, birthdate, birthplace, ..) (A.k.a., a “shared conceptualization of a domain”.). Software clients, programmed to recognize a set of well-known vocabularies, can understand all content published using those vocabularies.

The taxonomy and name spacing is useful

But so often they are human readable guides, rather than pulling in the triples and inferring from them.  Sometimes the machine readable triples are missing, and the s/w doesnt really notice

                Oh yeah I agree with you there. A major problem is that most namespace IRIs cannot be de-referenced after a while (when folks lose interest, or funding runs out). Well, since they’re IRIs, it’s not mandatory they can be resolved to begin with, it’s just good practice. But IMO this doesn’t take away the usefulness of namespaces acting as, well, namespaces for vocabularies.

Re the discussion around “ex:” – of course, if everyone uses their own vocabulary this will defeat the whole purpose. I don’t think that was the takeaway of that example (it rather concerned the Turtle vs. JSON syntax).

So, I was saying that JSON is simpler for web devs.  The ex: vocab if it's relative, which I expect, would ensure that keys are NOT matched.  In JSON APIs they are matched by keys.

I’m confused about this statement. A relative IRI such as foaf:name would be resolved to an absolute IRI http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name during parsing, which can be perfectly string-matched to the resolution of another term. (Or, maybe I misunderstand what you mean by “relative”?)

                This is assuming that the RDF snippet is syntactically valid and defines the utilized namespaces. (Hans’ example didn’t do this, since its focus, AFAICT, wasn’t on namespaces but rather ease of syntax.)

JSON keys OTOH are simply JSON keys and can be compared character for character
So are RDF terms :-) A client that is pre-programmed with a known set of vocabularies can compare the found RDF terms character-by-character to their programmed vocabularies, and then do something useful with the data.

As I said, not with relative URIs.

                Nope (unless I misunderstand what you mean with “relative”).

It's also not back compat with regular JSON.  Dont you think RDF would be so much better if every JSON API on the web would work with it?

                I totally agree with you here – JSON is natively supported in JS, while RDF is not. I assume that’s also what you mean by “JSON doesn’t need a parser” – of course it does, but once it’s parsed (e.g., using JSON.parse) one can work with JSON as native constructs in JS.

                That said, there are the NS.js<https://github.com/rdfjs/N3.js/> and graphy.js<https://github.com/blake-regalia/graphy.js> libraries that allow one to handle RDF in JS quite easily. E.g., graphy.js allows one to “Construct RDF data using ES object literals that reflect the tree-like structure of quads, graph -> subject -> predicate -> object, including nested blank nodes and RDF collections.” This actually got me interested in trying out this library (maybe there isn’t such a big impedance mismatch between RDF and JS!)

William