Re: OWL and RDF lists

> It would also be really nice to understand if there is a fundamental
> reason for this limitation in OWL.

I believe this is to help distinguish the ABox from the TBox.

I realize you know this, but I'll set it out for clarity:
OWL is expressed in RDF using collections (owl:intersectionOf, owl:unionOf,
owl:oneOf, etc). If the rdf: namespace can be referenced in OWL, then it
becomes difficult for a reasoner to know the difference between lists that
are part of the ABox, which should be processed, and the TBox, which
shouldn't be. It may be possible for a reasoner to use some analysis to
identify triples that appear in the TBox and ignore those, but it still
gets difficult to do queries across a large ABox and filter these out.

In practice, there can be workarounds for this, such as keeping the TBox in
a separate graph, but that sort of thing is not considered in the standards.

If OWL collections had been done with predicates in the owl: namespace,
then this would have provided a solution, but that would not have worked
with any of the serialization formats. And OWL needs a list structure in
order to keep collections closed.

Paula