Re: Chartering work has started for a Linked Data Signature Working Group @W3C

I'm going to describe what I had done to investigate the first of the claimed
implementations.

I cloned https://github.com/digitalbazaar/vc-js and looked through it to see
what it is.

In README.md there is:

*****
This library is a Javascript (Node.js and browser) implementation of the
Verifiable Credentials Data Model 1.0 specification (the JWT serialization is
not currently supported).
*****

So not Linked Data Proofs

In BACKGROUND.md there is

*****
See also (related specs):

* [Verifiable Credentials Data Model](https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/)
* [Linked Data Proofs 1.0](https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-proofs/)
*****

In README.md there are several occurences of "proof".   These occurences are
not function names but are instead in JSON-LD examples.  I looked at the
functions that are related to these examples but, as far as I can see, none of
the functions there match the descripion of the proof algorithms in
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-proofs/#algorithms.

So where is the implementation of the proof algorithm and the proof
verification algorithm of https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-proofs/#algorithms?  It
should have been trivial to find them.

The pointers that you are now providing appear to be for different code from
the ones you previously provided.

I cloned https://github.com/digitalbazaar/ed25519-signature-2020.git and
looked through it. There do not appear to be any references to Linked Data
Proofs 1.0 in it.

The signing and verification code appear to be a yet different github project.

I cloned https://github.com/digitalbazaar/jsonld-signatures.
There do not appear to be any references to Linked Data Proofs 1.0 in it.
There are sign and verify functions but they appear to have different arguments.

There should be documentation stating something like:

To sign a linked data document in a way consistent with
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-proofs/#proof-algorithm run
   node lib/jsonld-signatures.js ... document ... key ... id ... date ...
where document is a linked data document, key is a private key, id is an
identifier for a public/private key pair with key as the private key, and date
is a UTC date accurate to at least one second.

What I want to be able to do (and do easily) is to sign Example 1 from
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-proofs/ using my private key and get a signed
version of the document.

peter