Re: Thoughts on the LDS WG chartering discussion

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 11:31, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Graphs/Datasets are more often than not store in datastores, triple
> stores, knowledge graphs, you name it.

We’re seeing RDF (schema.org, OGP etc.) in 1/3 of so of pages you’ll find
in Google Search. There is a massive amount of RDF in active daily use that
is generated the same way ordinary web pages are generated (often from SQL
backends), and which can be used without necessarily storing in a
graph-specific manner. Although at some point you “datastores” covers
anything non-magically storing data in any way.

“More often than not” isn’t worth arguing over since you could fill up a
few SPARQL databases with Linked Open Numbers, but it would be a mistake to
assume that most RDF is obviously served or consumed in something like
triple stores.

Dan

The serialization format used to feed the triple store is irrelevant, and
> clients of such triple stores

(Not “datastores”?)

may request the data in different serialization format that suits their