Re: Reasoning with ontologies and knowledge graphs?

Hello,

We are using inferencing over SKOS and wikidata subclasses within
searches for image data in ImageSnippets.

We build inference graphs when we save the triples used to describe images.

We also have a search paths function that outlines the hops taken across
the datasets (DBpedia - SKOS broader/SameAs with Wikidata/subclasses as
well as Art and Architecture thesaurus).

I don't know if this is what you are really asking for here, but if
anything listed here, perhaps describes an informal approach that mimics
human reasoning.

Our search paths function is also quite revealing about oddities that
come up in places like the subclasses used in Wikidata for example -
when you can do things like get a result of an image of a Bay in New
Zealand for a search for a term like: 'communication medium'

The hops returned are as follows:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/New_Zealand (sameAs)
Wikidata: New Zealand http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q664 a Commonwealth
realm http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q202686
subclass of kingdom http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q417175 subclass of
monarchy http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q7269
subclass of monarchic system http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q22676587
subclass of form of government http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q1307214
subclass of administrative type http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q2752458
subclass of classification system http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q5962346
subclass of knowledge organization system
http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q6423319 subclass of communication medium
http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q340169

Another interesting result was finding images of native americans
returned for a search on 'insects' --- (because both enties are related
to 'tribes'. )

Best,

Margaret Warren