RE: Blank nodes must DIE! [ was Re: Blank nodes semantics - existential variables?]

In this specific case it could be rdf:type time:DateTimeDescription from OWL-Time.
See https://www.w3.org/TR/owl-time/#time-position

From: Patrick J Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Sent: Wednesday, 8 July, 2020 09:20
To: Anthony Moretti <anthony.moretti@gmail.com>
Cc: thomas lörtsch <tl@rat.io>; Dieter Fensel <dieter.fensel@sti2.at>; Hugh Glaser <hugh@glasers.org>; Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>; MindLab <mindlab@lists.sti2.at>
Subject: Re: Blank nodes must DIE! [ was Re: Blank nodes semantics - existential variables?]

On Jul 7, 2020, at 5:54 PM, Anthony Moretti <anthony.moretti@gmail.com<mailto:anthony.moretti@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hmm, not to me they don’t. Blank nodes are basically anonymous variables. LIterals are names with a /fixed/ denotation, a meaning fixed by external constraints, like a proper name.

And what about just for the subset of blank nodes whose type is an rdfs:Datatype, such as the example?

Well, I would be inclined to just always use literals as literals, rather than as codes for a subgraph with a bnode. But if that were in the graph then I would say, treat the bnode like any other bnode. Nothing will break if you do.

Why put a blank node in there?

Yeah I agree, there's absolutely no need for an identifier, its properties are sufficient, and any processing should ignore the ID. I put it in for completeness though because it's the only way I know to say something like flight123 hasArrivalTime _:dateTime1 without using the dateTime literal.

I must be missing something in this conversation. Why not use the literal? That is what literals are for, after all.

Pat

Anthony