Re: Detecting cycles in OWL

Hi Holger,

I tend to disagree.
In my experience SPARQL is less powerful than N3-rule-based machine
reasoning (also depending on the reasoner of course :).
Every query is a kind of 'dead end rule', whereas N3-rules can pass the
conclusion to other rules during a same reasoning session.
A handy combination of forward and backward rules is possible.
To try to make out of SPARQL a full-blown rule system is not that
senseful, because it is not designed for that purpose IMHO.
A strong real world use case for N3-rule-based machine reasoning is
temporal reasoning, implying e.g. unification of different calendars
(Gregorian, Julian, proleptic Julian and other, with all the quirks)
with usage of Julian Day Number, AFAIK beyond the capability of SPARQL.
This case uses e.g. a cascade of backward rules triggered from within
other rules.
It is at the end comparing apples with lemons I think.

Kind regards,
Hans