Re: Detecting cycles in OWL

On 28/04/2020 20:32, Mikael Pesonen wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> It seems that OWL reasoning has quite limited real world use: checking
> consistency of model and data, and deducting new facts for search etc.

The lack of expressiveness of OWL has long been a problem for us and
many (if not most) of our customers. Even if you can express something
in OWL, it often becomes convoluted and non-intuitive. With SPARQL
(CONSTRUCT/INSERT) you can do so much more, including the use cases that
OWL was supposed to solve. SPIN and later SHACL were partially created
to declaratively link SPARQL queries with the domain ontologies.

On N3 rules (mentioned in this thread), I wonder whether this shouldn't
simply reuse SPARQL, esp for the built-ins. Why reinvent the wheel?

Holger