Re: Solomon''s curse and search Bias

Hello Paola,

You might be interested in VIOS Network <http://poc.vios.network> project,
and its folder-driven approach (it is still in prototype phase and quite
buggy).

I started with keywords Solomon Curse <http://bit.ly/2GWOmEc>. Since the
results were sparse (it only checked the records' rdfs:label), I clicked Expand
Search <http://bit.ly/2Tf367V> button to apply search to all text fields. I
press the R key <http://bit.ly/2H9yjSu> to view the roles (property-of
relations) of the things in the results set, as I am trying to pivot
out to *historical
causes and conditions* related to the *House of David*. Primary topic
sounds interesting, so I click the number next to Primary topic role
<http://bit.ly/2GXI4nQ>. I discover nothing new under topics, so I click
the words "Solomon Curse" in the breadcrumbs to move back to root
<http://bit.ly/2C13cFE>, then I press the S key <http://bit.ly/2EK4RRK> to
view subject badges. *Jewish mythology* sounds promising, so I click that
badge <http://bit.ly/2Ud7v7H> to add the filter. I then click Jewish
Mythology <http://bit.ly/2ErckUd> in the breadcrumbs to "go there", and press
R <http://bit.ly/2C3QINl> to view its roles, and click the expand button
next to "subject" to preview the list of things under subject *Jewish
Mythology*.

Unfortunately, I was not able to resolve your query due to incompleteness
in the data space, but I hope to demonstrate that it is possible to allow
high precision, accuracy, and most importantly, granular user control over
the result sets, by publishing our data as linked data. The onus is with
data publishers to link the data in such a way as to provide enough filters
to allow users to *configure* the answers to their questions.

As another example, I checked a different data space (URI Burner
<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/>), for keywords House of David
<http://bit.ly/2NEN80J>, to continue the research. I then created a topic
chart <http://bit.ly/2NGtzoL> on the folder contents, which results in some
rather toxic news items. I was delighted to see the content was marked
"news" or "opinion"...

[image: image.png]

... which lets me restrict the results to "news" column only. I press the G
key <http://bit.ly/2Uh4AL9> to show the libraries (the Named Graph) these
results came from, and if I trust the library, then I know the items in the
"news" column are real/verified items. So, one important part of address
your issue is the notion of how do you assign trust to data publishers. I
believe one way is to link Named Graphs to identities in the Web of Trust
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust>.

*Notes and caveats:*

   - This is a proof-of-concept site only, use at your own risk
   - Some of the data servers in the above example are prone to a filter
   bug in Virtuoso
   <https://github.com/openlink/virtuoso-opensource/issues/823> that is
   currently being addressed
   - The server resources for both the proxy server and the data server are
   minimum and crash easily (use browser console log and toggle on Debug to
   troubleshoot)
   - The functionality of this PoC is not fully implemented, some features
   work, some not entirely, some not at all

For those interested, here is some more information about VIOS Network
project <https://medium.com/@sdmonroe/vios-network-99488f5bf29d>. The
framework is open-source and highly extensible (e.g. the Compare Chart is a
"plugin"), so if you know Javascript/HTML5/SPARQL and are willing to lend a
hand, please reach out :)

Cheers,
-sherman

--

Thanks,
-sherman

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from
the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of
turning.
(James 1:17)