Re: Semantic Web archaeology

My assumption about why it was rdf:type rather than rdfs:type was always that it enabled “plain rdf" to refer to “type systems” or terminologies other than RDFS;  e.g., you could make up your own, or borrow someone else’s, without the need to involve (or even mention) RDFS at all.  This at a time when it wasn’t clear that any particular way of defining classes was going to “catch on”.

—Frank