Re: Semantic Web archaeology

Hi all.

My recollection from the first WG was that the namespaces had been defined back in 1999; that there was a strong cultural prefernce for not changing any names unless there were overwhelmingly good reasons for making the change; and that the rdf/rdfs distinction was not considered to be particularly significant. I recall this issue coming up in WG discussions early on in the WG activity, and it being dismissed as unimportant.

There was (is?) a rationale which one can appeal to, a distinction between a base logic and a (rather simple) ontology of classes. But then it is rather hard to explain why rdf:type (which is the semantic device which introduces classes) isn’t rdfs:type.

Pat

> On Jun 28, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Antoine,
>
> My recollection from the time of the WG that produced the 2004 specs is that rdf:Seq and friends were already defined and used, and that we didn't want to break existing code.

Exactly.