Re: Trip Reports on Dagstuhl Seminar on Knowledge Graphs

Hi Paola,

if you look for technical depth, in the sense of typical KR conferences, including nice theorems and proofs, there is not so much you will find around  KGs (with few exceptions).
However, if there are KR systems built on deep theories at all (for most formalisms there aren’t such systems), they constitute niche applications,
run by a few people for a few people.

What is intriguing about KGs is their scale. They are large by themselves, they are run by large teams for even much, much larger number of people
and I would argue that they do capture knowledge even if not at the level of sophistication of some first order modal logics.

Now, there are plenty of questions:
- how can deep theories make KGs better but in a way that scales to these many people (who run or use KGs)? Experience shows that e.g. OWL, even if simple by KR standards, does not scale this way
- how do these theories scale technically? (again some tasks are better not done in OWL, others are)
- how to integrate different knowledge and/or data sources?
- how to build usable ontologies? (it turned out that the clean and powerful, but hard to use ontologies that I built with my team were never used as much as some simple and dirty ontologies other people built for similar purposes)
- how to use statistics? (Btw: here it gets tricky again)
etc. etc.

The tricky thing is that the assumptions change under which knowledge is considered and that is what makes KGs interesting
compared to previous work. Maybe this could be made a bit more explicit.

Cheers
Steffen