Re: Semantic Web Interest Group now closed

"Hyperdata" certainly has a nice ring to it, and also has some continuity
with hypergraphs in addition to hyper-text. In defense of "Semantic Web",
however, I think it is worth emphasizing that word "semantic" in certain
contexts.

To illustrate, I really enjoyed reading the trip reports from the recent
Dagstuhl seminar on knowledge graphs, including some notes by Paul Groth on
"knowledge graphs as a communication medium" that really resonated with me.
Although both a "knowledge graph" and an ML model are full of data, only in
the knowledge graph is the data entirely symbolic. This makes the contents
of a knowledge graph directly accessible -- even self-explanatory -- to
humans in a way that a big, shimmering neural network is not. If ML and
SemWeb were branches of psychology, ML would be more like behaviorism, with
its focus on inputs, outputs. and conditioning, whereas a triple store or
graph database embodies a traditional philosophy-of-mind approach. As a
close approximation of the symbols and beliefs that we assume to exist in
the minds of our fellow human beings, in a "semantic" knowledge base you
can actually look inside and see the statements.

In other words, data may very well be "machine readable" without having
"semantics", and to add to what Frans said, it's the semantics that makes
the data *human* readable.

Josh