Re: Semantic Web Interest Group now closed

Here's a thought. Perhaps the thing is to put together a page  of all semantic web related activities mailing lists so
that people can understand where they may want to go for different conversations. Since mailing
lists tend to be somewhat exclusive as cross posting is frowned upon, this listing will tend to
create a readjustment of meanings of the mailing list. (Adding a new base distinction in language tends
to refine the meaning of the other vocabulary - something that may be of interest to discuss here)

Here are some lists I know of:

  - rdf-dev list: a more pragmatic do-it list, to help people work out how to use the tools and standards
for development, ask questions regarding that, etc... (hope I have not misunderstood this), and so of course through that practical activity work out what pieces are missing in the standards.

  - linked data list: Relating to publishing and linking data on the web, often this is about big databases working out how to align ontologies, how to publish so that uris don't change, which ontologies are already widely used,...

  - semantic-web@w3.org <mailto:semantic-web@w3.org> a more theoretical list (hence the academic papers and phd positions) where
one can have discussions about the theory and future directions. This does not mean that pragmatics is not
part of it as I have argued.
   So why not just go through academic papers? Well those tend to also be very siloed, and there has to be
a place where one can ask questions that cross any theoretical field, or where one can discover where on
google scholar one should look. Or even just to know if there is any life in an idea at all.
 This is the mailing list I discovered about papers relating to category theory (CT) and RDF before I really
knew much about CT, and discovered the importance of the literature on contexts which I missed because
I equated those to modal logical concepts. That is there is a need to be able to speak to people who know logic,
pragmatics, modal logic, fuzzy logic, description logic, in the context of the the applications that these are useful for.

   - solid:  that is a practical application of these tools and standards with the aim of thinking of applications as browsers that read and write the data. This immediately brings in access control issues, design issues, linked-data., schemas, efficient streming database development, programming languages, and pretty much all the w3c stack. As it is an engineering project that pushes the envelope in so many directions, it raises questions that often need the other lists to be discussed, and work to standardize, such as identity and access control logics. Developers tend to want to build things and they don't want to pause for 2 years to understand some of the other pieces in full.

There are a number of other lists of course with much narrower focus which one could also list and connect
in order to give a full picture of the whole activity in this domain, which is really quite vast.
  - webid
  - verifiable claims
  - blockchain on the semantic web?
  - ...

I am sure I have missed a lot, and that the chairs have a much better overview of the ecosystem, so such a page linking all these activities would look very different than what I put forward there.  And I guess there is already such a page up there :-)