Re: ✅ Literals as subjects Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 12:30:08 +0000
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, SW-forum Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se>, Axel Polleres <axel@polleres.net>
To: Austin Wright <aaa@bzfx.net>

> On 25 Nov 2018, at 02:23, Austin Wright <aaa@bzfx.net> wrote:
>
> Someone may need to explain to me exactly which problem this would solve, especially in the context of making RDF more approachable.
>
> { “May” a Month . } isn’t a useful statement/graph to me, because this is mutually exclusive with { “May” a foaf:Person . }.

As a literal “May” is a string, and the meaning will depend on the context, e.g. it could be a month, a verb, someone’s family name and so forth.  A common case is where there are somethings that are only true in this particular context whilst other things are true generally.  Contexts are also useful when dealing with departures from the open world assumption.

W3C Data Activity Lead & W3C champion for the Web of things