Re: Lack of a standard rules language Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

On Thu, 2018-11-22 at 14:47 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Yes, N3 immediately addresses multiple points from the opening thread.
>

> It's a great starting (and ending?) point, to this

The original defect report ("Lack of a standard rules language") is
wrong. RIF has been in the SemWeb stack for a long time. It has of
course been largely ignored while practitioners invent special-case
solutions.

RIF is directly compatible with XML, RDF, and OWL, which means you have
a lot of basic tooling to process it. It covers practically all rule
styles anyone would want, and includes a standard extension mechanism.

My only complaint about RIF is that, due to timing of the working
groups, it is not fully interoperable with SPARQL. Also for the same
reason, there is some disconnect between RIF datatypes and built-ins,
and the XSD datatypes and xpath functions. It's been quite a while since
I worked in this area so I don't recall the details.

That should be the starting point on this topic: re-open a working group
on RIF to make it capable of expressing SPARQL constructs, and resolve
the datatype and built-in discrepancies with other W3C specs.

Of course additional tooling, documentation, and advocacy for RIF
wouldn't hurt. But first drop the myth about "no standard rule
language".

Regards,
--Paul