Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 22:45:06 -0500
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Cc: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
> On 22/11/2018 8:40 AM, David Booth wrote:
>> One bright light in our favor is that RDF already provides a
>> very solid foundation to build upon, based on formal logic.
>
> Would you mind clarifying this statement a bit? What practical benefits
> would the foundation on formal logic add to a future (simplified) RDF,
> for average users?

Fair point.  I only meant that the semantics are already very well
worked out: we don't have to start from scratch.

> I have seen plenty of evidence that some aspects of
> the semantic technology stack are being regarded as too academic, and
> that the role of formal logic has been one driver of this detachment.

Yes, I've noticed that sentiment also.  But I also think that an easier
version of RDF could still be based on formal logic under the hood,
without appearing so academic.  Or at least, I hope it can!

> Related topics are the non-unique-name-assumption and the open world
> assumption that are typically neither understood nor expected by average
> users.

Agreed.  And although I definitely see their importance in the Semantic
Web architecture, in my experience individual applications almost
invariably close the world and impose a unique name assumption at some
point.  In summary, although I think those principles are important to
retain, for practical purposes I think tools should make it easy to
close the world and impose a unique name assumption.

David Booth