Re: Seeking LDP server recommendations

On 2018-05-07 09:58, ajs6f wrote:
> Trellis LDP provides similar equipment, including a standalone server:
>
> https://github.com/trellis-ldp/trellis/tree/master/platform/linux
>
> which also creates rpm and deb artifacts, a WAR deployment:
>
> https://github.com/trellis-ldp/trellis/tree/master/platform/webapp
>
> and Docker gear: https://github.com/trellis-ldp/trellis-deployment
>
> I've actually been quite impressed over the last few years at the way that many semweb and LOD projects have taken up devops ideas and made their deployment much easier.

Oh, trellis is further ahead in about every aspect than mayktso, and
probably many other LD(P)-and-friends implementations. "Similar
equipment" (and quality) is an understatement :) For anything super
serious / production level, I would not recommend mayktso; it was
originally intended to get LDN (test suite) going and to test things
with dokieli.

The Fedora implementations are looking great,.. and with the spec in the
works (or in its last stretch), I'm looking forward to seeing cool
applications.

I'm going a bit off track here but relevant to all LD(P) implementations:

Technically LD servers are not major hurdles at this point... neither is
it the case to get LDN/ActivityPub, WebAnnotation, Memento, and a number
of other specs implemented. That's relatively trivial to:

1) having a stable *global* authentication mechanism
2) properly implemented across the board
3) with decent browser support and UX across devices

is a major challenge - a bottle-neck that's preventing far more advanced
stuff happening than what we're used to seeing. We haven't yet nailed
that down.

Without WebID-* (TLS, OIDC, FIDO?..), users are fundamentally locked
into platforms/web spaces which do their own thing. And, we can't expect
client applications and servers to continue to implement 50 different
ways to sign-in; some working on certain Webspaces but not the others..

Getting non-technologists to create and manage their own profiles
somewhere they sufficiently trust and control is next up on the list. At
the moment, it is quite involving - to put it mildly - even for those of
us that have been working in this vicinity - decentralisation ..
federation - for at least a decade.

We're relatively okay with authorization - WAC/ACL seems to be
sufficient to handle/speak our *initial* needs.

We'll find out more once we have an ecosystem of applications doing RW
operations across different Webspaces, *and* users being able to switch
between applications seamlessly. That's one of the fundamental changes
the LD/Web community needs.

So, while it is great to see that there are some LD(P) server
implementations out there, they are relatively disjoint nodes in the
network, especially concerning the applications that are operating over
them. The data may be "interlinked" across the space, but the
applications are fixed/immobile. And, that effects the shape of data, as
well as its potential reuse.

The good news... there a number of initiatives (from standards to
activism) and developments happening, or have sufficiently matured, and
people are enthusiastic about all this. Slowly but surely.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i