Re: Newsletter & Call for Papers WebSci'18

On 02/22/2018 03:41 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:

>> There are benefits to having a single-file fixed-format
>> publication vehicle like PDF that I don't want to give up.
> That's an interesting point, and it would be good if we'd all list them,
> so we can see what we still need to do with our tooling.
>
> Mathematical typesetting has come up already
> (but still waiting for examples that are hard/impossible now).
>
> Best,
>
> Ruben

The following is my view of how PDF fits into scholarly publishing.  Other
researchers may have different views.

I'm taking a very broad view of scholarly publishing, ranging from standard
journals and series to document repositories.

The major attributes of PDF relevant to scholarly publishg are
- self-contained documents
- a document as a sequence of pages with non-varying line width and page height
- non-varying fonts and glyphs, renderable at different resolutions
- non-varying embedded graphics, renderable at different resolutions
- multiple popular ways to produce conformant documents
- multiple popular ways to render at low cost
(Yes, some of these are not true of PDF itself, but instead are true of the
standard uses of PDF in scholarly publishing.)  PDF also has some other
features that are often used in scholarly publishing, such as intra-document
links and annotations, but I don't view these as important as the above
features.

Self-contained documents make it much easier to produce, distribute, and
conserve a non-varying document, an important aspect of publishing.

Paged documents are both a problem and a benefit for scholarly publishing.
The need to page documents is problematic, but does ease the display of
larger portions of a document on a single imaging device.  Fixed line width
is currently an advantage for documents with embedded content, particularly
large formulae.

Fixed fonts and graphic elements retain potentially important distinctions
in the document.

Multiple popular production toolchains let authors pick and choose, and
permit experimentation.

Multiple popular low-cost renderers are needed for wide distribution and aid
in longevity of the documents.  PDF didn't become widely used for
publication distribution until after essentially all scholars could easily
view PDF documents.

peter