Re: Best practises for using multiple schemes to describe resources

Thank you everyone for feedback.

About the consumption: this is fully internal system, but we need to
publish/rebuild data from it for other systems too.

So there are several ways to handle this:

1) Easy / lazy way:
Just pick properties that are suitable enough from various schemes
without worrying about classes (ignoring class definitions and possible
conflicts). Classes can be derived from the properties when needed.
Validator tools may not work correctly with this data?

2) By the book a:
As in 1), but taking class definitions into account and avoid conflicts
(use a scheme/class only when it fits the resource type fully). This
data should be fully functional with data validators. There might not
exist fully compliant schemes for all purposes

3) By the book b:
Define proprietary scheme from scratch and link it's properties to
widely known scheme properties, such as Dublin Core. This is most work
to do.

For me, 2) seems the best way to go, especially if we can find the
correct schemes. Maybe EDM, FRBR could work here.

Mikael

--
Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management

www.lingsoft.fi

Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books

Mikael Pesonen
System Engineer

e-mail: mikael.pesonen@lingsoft.fi
Tel. +358 2 279 3300