Re: http-range-14 and other painful questions...

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 13:36, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I am writing a thesis with the hope of going beyond
> Roy Fielding's famous thesis by developing a mathematical
> theory of the web based on category theory, game theory
> and modal logic that would allow me to answer a number
> of outstanding questions such as http-range-14. [1]
>
> Are there other issues of the sort that I could use
> as examples to show the usefulness of such a theory?

My understanding of the issue was that hr14 was painful in the same way
that pointers are painful in C.

ie in C pointers point to data when dereferenced

on the web URLs (UDIs?) point to documents which are dereferenced

in both cases data structures are returned

in both cases they are generally considered to be a source of confusion to
programmers (maybe that's just the nature of pointers?)

in both cases you can actually reuse the pointers themselves e.g. with
pointer arithmetic, but it's not really considered a best practice

is that roughly correct?