Re: Identity problems numbers 3 and 5 - was Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

On 12/7/2018 9:08 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> ... I leave the discussion feeling rather disappointed. You can consider
>  this a rant if you like, but it is not meant to be.

> I don't think that I have got any bits of code or suggestions that
> will actually help me or other developers to actually do practical
> stuff. Nor really some more strategic ideas to get SemWeb more
> usable, as  David hoped for.

> On the contrary, I have been left with the feeling it is far too hard
> to do addresses, or even anything in Semantic Web technologies -
> maybe SQL would be easier?
> https://www.google.com/search?q=representing+addresses+in+sql is
> certainly pretty helpful.

> ... Could the answer on address representation not be: "Great, we
> have this vCard schema (first hit on Google, by the way). Use that
> carefully and you will probably be alright." And even better if
> there was a cloud of experience, examples and code around it that
> helped me use it and interwork with other tools.

Not saying that I have specific answers for you, but it seems to me that
you aren't being clear enough about what you want.  Well, not just you!
  What could you get out of the Semantic Web apparatus that you might
not otherwise?

- Modeling addresses or other complex entities?  The starting point is
not RDF or SQL or whatever, but modeling.  After you have a reasonable
data model, you can tackle bringing it to life in RDF, SQL, etc, and
comparing them.

- Combining data from various databases?  Do you need to recognize
"identities" or will there be no overlap between them?  Will you want to
de-reference by using IRIs identifiers? ...

- Performing logical inferences on the data?

- And so on ...

Bnodes may or may not play an important role, but many of these
questions really start with the modeling.  And that will partly depend
on your expected uses and business needs.

TomP