Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

On 03/12/2018 21:38, Patrick J Hayes wrote:
>> On Dec 3, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org
>> <mailto:nathan@webr3.org>> wrote:
>> Open question: why can the scope of quantification not be the edge of
>> the RDF Graph
>
> Where is that edge? The RDF specs say that an RDF graph is a /set/ of
> triples. What determknes the ‘edge’ of a set? If you mean the document
> describing the graph, then yes, that is a natural default assumption, I
> agree, but as soon as you start taking bits of RDF from many sources and
> combining them, those boundaries get lost. And that was the intended
> purpose of RDF, to allow information from many sources to be combined
> and used together.

+1

>> , what is the use case / requirement for blank nodes to be shared
>> between graphs?
>
> The issue is not so much a use case for sharing, as how to even know
> when bnodes are NOT being shared.  For one example, many users expect to
> be able to use bnodeIDs in the result of a query ‘outside’ the graph
> being queried, eg in subsequent queries.

And subgraphs.

It is also important in building and modifying RDF.

When working with RDF across machine boundaries, whether "inside" a
distributed graph or working with a graph that is remote, programming
APIs don't apply and having custom remote protocols are burdensome.

     Andy