Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

> [...]
>
> Ideally, RDF2 should provide for these structures directly, but maybe we can get the benefit with a relatively tiny step, just by having a syntax for RDF which has explicit scoping brackets. Off the cuff, imagine a variant of NTriples in which a subset of triples can be enclosed in brackets, say [  ] (or something else if thse are already taken) to indicate that any bnode ID in a triple inside the bracket is local to those triples, ie is ‘bound'. Current RDF engines which do not make use of this information can simply ignore them, since they do not change the RDF meaning of the graph, but they may provide useful information to newer engines. For example, they might make it a lot easier to parse OWL syntax (‘Manchester’ syntax) from OWL/RDF.
>
> Putting brackets around an entire graph says, in effect, that all bnodeIDs in this graph are local to the graph: omitting them allows the possibility of sharing a bnode with some other graph (as in RDF datasets).
>
> A better system, which would allow for more elaborate structures, would be to have convention of labelled scope brackets of the form [ID ], where ID is any alphanumeric string, which is understood to ‘bind’ only bnodes with ids of the form _:string where ID is an initial substring of string. So for example [A  ] binds _:A1 and _:A17 but not _:B1. This would allow the full expressiveness of nested quantification without very much extra work at all, and again it could be simply ignored by current RDF engines without harm, although they might be missing out on some of the meaning being expressed by this more elaborate notation. And if you leave out the ID, then this defaults to the simpler notation in the previous paragraph, so bc is automatic.
>
> The scope identifier should only be attached to one bracket, to make this kind of silliness
>
> [A ,,,,[B,,,,,]A….]B
>
> impossible.
>
> This could be used to hide the internal strcuture of RDF lists:
>
> [L
> _:a rdf:first x:A .
> _:a rdf:rest _:Lb .
> _:Lb rdf:first x:B.
> _:Lb rdf:rest rdf:nil .
> ]
> could be abbreviated as something like
> {x:A,x:B}
> and this treated like a new kind of RDF name, which of course becomes the first bnodeID (_:a) when compiled into RDF triples (which is why that bnodeID is not included in the scope, so it can act as the ‘name' of the list elsewhere in the graph.)
>
> Pat, to me it looks like you're describing an RDF Dataset where Blank Node CANNOT be shared between the RDF Graphs, it would achieve the same no?

Close, but one cannot include a dataset as a component of an RDF graph. I had in mind that this would simply be a ’scoped subgraph’ of some larger graoh.

> Open question: why can the scope of quantification not be the edge of the RDF Graph

Where is that edge? The RDF specs say that an RDF graph is a /set/ of triples. What determknes the ‘edge’ of a set? If you mean the document describing the graph, then yes, that is a natural default assumption, I agree, but as soon as you start taking bits of RDF from many sources and combining them, those boundaries get lost. And that was the intended purpose of RDF, to allow information from many sources to be combined and used together.

> , what is the use case / requirement for blank nodes to be shared between graphs?

The issue is not so much a use case for sharing, as how to even know when bnodes are NOT being shared.  For one example, many users expect to be able to use bnodeIDs in the result of a query ‘outside’ the graph being queried, eg in subsequent queries.

Pat