Re: Standard response to delete queries in SPARQL

Hi Justin,
>From SPARQL 1.1 Protocol W3C Recommendation:

"The response body of a successful update request is implementation
defined. Implementations may use HTTP content negotiation to provide both
human-readable and machine-processable information about the completed
update request."

The same goes also for unsuccessful update requests and unsuccessful
queries (obviously, the body of a successful query is instead defined by
the spec because it contains the result set).

Sadly, in my experience, current SPARQL endpoint implementations do not put
much effort in providing machine-processable information for these cases.

I made a small experiment looking at timeout errors (for queries) from
different endpoints. The body of the responses were all plain strings with
differing messages (sometimes hard to process even by a human) and even the
returned HTTP status codes were diverse.

I think there is much room for improvement, both for spec and for the
SPARQL endpoint implementers who could start using machine-readable
descriptions in the response bodies for these requests.

Kind regards,
Miguel