Re: [DBpedia-discussion] Call for Ontology Editor demos for DBpedia

Virtus in medium est.

I agree that by any standard, the DBpedia Ontology is messy, and needs
some work. Otherwise, it would be only a list of concepts with almost no
relations between them. These relations (the subconcept hierarchy and
other relevant relations defined by the authors of the ontology) need to
be there if the ontology is to be useful to something more than mere
documentation.

However, a well sound ontology needs a LOT of work, and the wider the
scope, the harder it is to get it right. Since DBpedia has no scope
boundaries, the amount of work to select a suitable  foundational ontology
and expand it would be huge. No, I'm not quoting Trump, it is really huge.

What DBpedia needs is a few abstract notions without commitment to any
foundational ontology, since the tradeoffs each FO makes would hurt
DBpedia genericity. For example, different groups may fight years about an
exact definition of "Software", but most will agree it is a intelectual
product, such as a romance, a song or a theater play. The ontology should
reflect that, without getting in details about how software is encoded,
versioned, reified etc., since these details are important only to
applications dealing with the concept of software, and not for DBpedia
itself.

A few months ago, I complained that ComputerLanguage was not a subconcept
of Language, and it was promptly corrected, since it is very hard do
disagree with that. There are a lot of places where such refactoring is
needed, and I think it would help a lot. Further refining, such as
creating subclasses of ComputerLanguage, should be avoided in the name of
keeping the ontology simple and generic. Upper-level classes are needed to
sort things out, but one should also avoid defining things like
disjointness because it would lead to stuff like partition completeness
and other stuff which are clearly not needed for the purposes of DBpedia.

But I agree a cleanup is needed, since a lot of dbo:Things don't make much
sense.

Cheers.
Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
Petrobras, Brazil

De:     "Paul Houle" <paul.houle@ontology2.com>
Para:   "John Flynn" <jflynn12@verizon.net>, "'Sebastian Hellmann'"
<hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, "'semantic-web at W3C'"
<semantic-web@w3c.org>, 'public-lod' <public-lod@w3.org>, 'DBpedia'
<Dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>
Data:   2017-07-06 12:25
Assunto:        Re: [DBpedia-discussion] Call for Ontology Editor demos
for DBpedia

I would disagree.

The DBpedia Ontology is not designed to support any specific kind of
reasoning.

What it *is* designed to do is capture the somewhat structured data that
exists in Wikipedia.  Following the much misunderstood "semantic web",
 the emphasis is on properties first,  and then classes second.  Think of
it as a set of baseball or Pokemon cards;  the point is not to replicate
or even closely describe the performance or rules of the game,  but to go
after the long hanging fruit of "things that are easy to ontologize."

There is a real price to pay for this;  from the viewpoint of conventional
application development and introductory computer science,  the data is
not always factually correct or satisfies the invariants required for a
particular algorithm.  Practically that means that you might ask for "US
States" and get 48 or 51,  that somebody like Barry Bonds or Mel Gibson
has their career much better represented than J. Edgar Hoover or J. Eric
S. Thompson,  and you would probably find that the "tree of life" in
DBpedia is not really a tree.

If you need to reasoning in some domain you need to find some area you are
willing to pump the entropy out of,  create the data structures
appropriate for what you want to do,  and possibly incorporate data from
DBpedia,  doing whatever cleanup is necessary.  That's not different at
all from the situation of "doing reasoning over reasoning over data
collected by a large organization".