Re: w3c and ISO standards - why did I pay for the standard?

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 11:50:10 -0600
Cc: chris.leighton@uwa.edu.au, semantic-web@w3.org
To: Simon.Cox@csiro.au

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:

> I also understand that ISO standards have not been seen as “scholarly publications”, so university libraries generally do not subscribe, but that classification is one that may be worth questioning. The standards I’ve been involved in writing have undergone a significantly more rigorous review procedure than any journal article. I had >1000 comments to resolve on one of them.

+1. That was my experience also. I do not think that any publications in any forum receive as much rigorous scrutiny as published standards documents.

Pat Hayes

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)