Re: Free and Open Access [was Re: With footnotes (was Re: Open Access to Journal of Web Semantics (JWS))]

Greetings.

On 10 Aug 2017, at 13:29, David Booth wrote:

> The open access dilemma *can* be solved: by getting universities to
> commit to an open access policy in their tenure evaluation criteria.
> "If an article is not published in a journal that provides free and
> open access, it doesn't exist", i.e., it will not be counted toward
> tenure.

RCUK -- the umbrella body for UK research funding -- currently mandates
[1] that all papers which acknowledge RCUK funding must appear with
green or gold open access.  The policy took some years to develop and
roll out, navigating through the vary widely varying expectations and
detailed circumstances of different disciplines.

There _may_ be a similar requirement in papers submittable to the REF
(the UK's periodic all-sector review that consumes the energy of, and
causes much furious gnashing of teeth across, UK academia).

> This change would actually be in the universities' best interest
> anyway, because they would save money on journal subscriptions and
> benefit science.

I don't know of a review of the policy's effects from this point of
view, off hand, but my impression is that it has rearranged the paths of
the money spent on journals (_possibly_ to a more rational way), but not
much changed the total.

Best wishes,

Norman

[1] http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/research/openaccess/policy/