Free and Open Access [was Re: With footnotes (was Re: Open Access to Journal of Web Semantics (JWS))]

The open access dilemma *can* be solved: by getting universities to
commit to an open access policy in their tenure evaluation criteria.
"If an article is not published in a journal that provides free and open
access, it doesn't exist", i.e., it will not be counted toward tenure.

This change would actually be in the universities' best interest anyway,
because they would save money on journal subscriptions and benefit
science.

The problem now is that researchers are convinced -- quite reasonably --
that they need to publish in "prestigious" journals for tenure credit,
so they cave to those journal's closed-access policies.  If that
perverse incentive is broken by universities adopting an open access
policy as described above, then we can have a sustainable shift to
free-and-open access for research publications.  This policy shift does
not need to happen all at once either.  Individual universities can take
the lead, and others can follow.  This issue needs to be raised with
university administrations.

I'm so glad this topic is being discussed!

David Booth