RE: [Wikidata] Naming Conventions for URIs

From: Vladimir Alexiev <vladimir.alexiev@ontotext.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:03:18 +0300
To: "'Discussion list for the Wikidata project.'" <wikidata@lists.wikimedia.org>, <semantic-web@w3.org>
Paul Houle> The production for a QName  cannot begin with a number

I think you're reading some very old specs.

David Booth> this particular issue has
> been fixed in SPARQL 1.1 and Turtle 1.1, last I checked not all tools
> had been upgraded to those specs

I think all the important tools have been upgraded a long time ago.
http://vocab.getty.edu uses numeric local-names for 2 years now, and I haven't heard any complaints.
Dotted local-names used to be a problem (since dot is "end of pattern" in Turtle and SPARQL) 3-4 years ago, but I think the tools have fixed that as well.

You still can't use slash & hash in local names though (afaik CURIEs can do that), so instead we use dash. Eg
   aat_source:18469-subject-43956
is aat_source:18469 as applied to "subject" (concept) aat:43956

Austin William Wright > @base <http://isbn.example.com/I>
> doesn't really make any sense to have the trailing "I" on the @base,
> since that's going to get wiped out during the URI Reference resolution process,

I think this is false.

Cheers!