Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?

On 11 November 2015 at 15:17, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I think I inadvertently forgot to share this blog post [1] with this
> community.

Really enjoyed.

I think sem web has evolved on a number vectors

1. Big data and gov, seems to be really embracing linked data.  This goes
hand in hand with enterprise adoption.

2. Academia is producing lots of leading edge research that will feed into
systems for years

3. Web 2.0 is shifting towards more semantics, whether it be schema.org,
search engine knowledge graphs, JSON LD etc.  Only yesterday the well known
web 2.0 system, activity streams, proposed to incorporate JSON LD into the
spec being developed as an equivalent format.  Hydra is also an interesting
approach of dealing with web 2.0 APIs.  So the Semantic Web is really
moving it this area.

4. The thing I'm MOST excited about tho is social.  In particular, Social
Linked Data (Solid) IMHO provides a first class way to deal with users,
read/write operations, privacy and the realtime web, things that have been
largely missing from the semantic web conversation, but central to those
that succeeded in web 1.0 and web 2.0.

https://github.com/solid/solid-spec

I agree this technology has now "arrived" without us noticing it.  Im sure
it's here to stay, but it's up to us what kind of market share it will gain.