Re: W3C Automotive Ontology Community Group

John:
Thanks - quick comments:

1. As for an upper ontology: The work of the CG is currently focused on extending schema.org by automotive concepts. Schema.org provides the common abstractions.

2. As for other types of vehicles: Our work (and the initial proposal from 2014, documented at http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Vehicles), included types for bikes etc., but following feedback from the schema.org stakeholders, we removed such. As far as I can see, our approach should be compatible with related extensions for bikes, boats, planes, and space-ships, but such is outside the scope of the CG for the moment.

3. This is not at all a "research" initiative, whatever that means. Even GoodRelations has never had such narrow a focus.

" approach it
> as a business process where the investment in the development of the
> Automotive Ontology is directly related to the potential for increased
> profit within the automobile user community. This will provide incentive for
> the large and wealthy automotive industry to support the development,
> maintenance and acceptance of the Automotive Ontology.

I think that the ability to expose information about vehicles to the digital devices that potential customers use for understanding your value proposition is such a tangible incentive, be it as short-term as SEO, or longer-term.

Best wishes

Martin

martin hepp  http://www.heppnetz.de
mhepp@computer.org          @mfhepp