Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:27:22 +0100
To: Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com>
Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>> The real problem is still the missing tooling. Authors, even if technically
>> savy like this community, want to do what they set up to do: write their
>> papers as quickly as possible. They do not want to spend their time going
>> through some esoteric CSS massaging, for example. Let us face it: we are not
>> yet there. The tools for authoring are still very poor.
>
> But are they still very poor? I mean, I think there are more tools for
> rendering HTML than there are for rendering Latex. In fact there are
> probably more tools for rendering HTML than anything else out there,
> because HTML is used more than anything else. Because HTML powers the
> Web!
>
> You can write in Word, and export in HTML. You can write in Markdown
> and export in HTML. You can probably write in Latex and export in HTML
> as well :)

Yes, you can. Most of the publishers use XML at some point in their
process, and latex gets exported to that.

I am quite happy to keep LaTeX as a user interface, because it's very
nice, and the tools for it are mature for academic documents
(in practice, this means cross-referencing and bibliographies).

So, as well as providing a LNCS stylesheet, we'd need a htlatex cf.cfg,
and one CSS and it's done. Be good to have another CSS for on-screen
viewing; LNCS's back of a postage stamp is very poor for that.

Phil