Re: Call for Linked Research

This is of course an excellent initiative.
But I worry that it feels like people are talking about building stuff from scratch, or even lashing things together.

Is it really the case that a typical research approach to what you are calling Linked Research doesn’t turn up theories and systems that can inform what we do?

What I think you are talking about is what I think is commonly called e-Science.
And there is a vast body of research on this topic.
This initiative also impinges on the Open Archives/Access/Repositories movements, who are deeply concerned about how to capture all research outputs. See for example http://www.openarchives.org/ore/

In e-Science I know of http://www.myexperiment.org, for example, which has been doing what I think is very related stuff for 6 or 7 years now, with significant funding, so is a mature system.
And, of course, it is compatible with all our Linked Data goodness (I hope).
Eg http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/59
We could do worse than look to see what they can do for us?
And it appears that things can be skinned within the system: http://www.myexperiment.org/packs/106

You are of course right, that it is a social problem, rather than a technical problem; this is why others’ experience in solving the social problem is of great interest.

Maybe myExperiment or a related system would do what you want pretty much out of the box?

Note that it goes even further than you are suggesting, as it has facilities to allow other researchers to actually run the code/workflows.

It would take us years to get anywhere close to this sort of thing, unless we (LD people) could find serious resources.
And I suspect we would end up with something that looks very similar!

Very best
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser