From: Brent Shambaugh [mailto:brent.shambaugh@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:45 PM
To: Paul Tyson
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISO 15926, semantic web enhancement of ISO 10303

Paul,

Yes, I was considering an ontology for a Tesla. I downloaded a number of their patents, but wanted to make use of existing efforts to save time and improve output if possible. I liked ISO 15926 due to the flexibility that it seemed to promise over all of the ISO 10303 APs [2].

I found focus area in ISO 10303 for automotive would be AP 214 [1]. I found it helpful that you linked to the Product modelling W3C efforts.

I'm trying to meet this through construction of an EIS that allows participants to easily join and leave, and allows for small participants. At this point, I'm trying to put together what is out there. I hope this falls in line with Tesla's business case.

"We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform."

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

[1] http://www.engen.org.au/index_htm_files/STEP_application_hdbk_63006_BF.pdf
[2] http://fiatech.org/images/stories/techprojects/project_deliverables/iso-intro-ver1.pdf (pg. 62)

-Brent Shambaugh