Fwd: Deduced property

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel@gmail.com>
Date: 2014-01-29
Subject: Re: Deduced property
To: Jean-Claude Moissinac <jean-claude.moissinac@telecom-paristech.fr>

I can give 2 answers:

- 1. your rule means that :hasParent is a sub-property of hasAncestor ,
   which can be writen thus in Turtle:
   hasParent rdfs:subPropertyOf hasAncestor .

( not rdfs:subClassOf like Richard said ! )

Then, any OWL reasoner like Hermit will draw desired conclusions.
For example, given fact:

Lizza_Minelli hasParent Vincente_Minelli .

It will infer:
Lizza_Minelli hasAncestor Vincente_Minelli .

2.  OWL reasoners are not the only way, rules engines can do the job.
For example, Euler [1] has a whole set of rules for RDFS and OWL 2 RL
inferencing, like these one for rdfs:subPropertyOf :

{?P rdfs:subPropertyOf ?Q. ?S ?P ?O} => {?S ?Q ?O}.
{?P rdfs:subPropertyOf ?Q. ?Q rdfs:subPropertyOf ?R} => {?P
rdfs:subPropertyOf ?R}.
{?P rdfs:subPropertyOf ?Q. ?Q rdfs:domain ?C} => {?P rdfs:domain ?C}.
{?P rdfs:subPropertyOf ?Q. ?Q rdfs:range ?C} => {?P rdfs:range ?C}.

See
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/eulersharp/code/trunk/2003/03swap/rdfs-rules.n3
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/eulersharp/code/trunk/2003/03swap/owl-rules.n3

Rules are less limited in their expressivity than ontologies.

Euler [1] http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/

2014-01-29 Jean-Claude Moissinac <jean-claude.moissinac@telecom-paristech.fr

Sorry if my question is very naive, but I'm stuck on this for a while

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Déductions SARL - Consulting, services, training,