Re: WebVOWL 0.3 - Visualize your ontology on the web

Carmen,

thank you for your comments and ideas.

On 19.12.2014 20:25, carmen wrote:
>> Have fun with it!
> yes, saw version 0.2 mentioned on https://twitter.com/_masaka and found it useful over a plaintext
>
> arc labels are 600% as space-consuming as they could be?
>
> [has member] <- bidirectional arcs are causing two boxes
> [member of]
>
> [          ] and they have lots of padding, like this
> [has member]
> [          ]
>
> [member] is what i'm after here, arrows already denote directionality

This is a nice idea but not always possible from a semantic point of
view (depends on how well the properties are labeled). However, we plan
to include an "expert mode" in some future version of WebVOWL, with a
more compact and less redundant visualization. The current visualization
has been designed with casual users in mind, so we tried to make it very
self-exploratory and included some redundancy by purpose - see our paper
on VOWL 2 referenced at: http://vowl.visualdataweb.org

> should they still be overlapping (without the gravity set so it's so sparse you can't see much),

That is true. Not that you can hover labels to move them to the front.
You can also "pause" the force layout and then adapt the gravity (while
paused) - just try that workaround.

> many arcs coming out of a large node form a sort of comb pattern,
> ______________
>   |  |  |  | |  - rotating labels could significantly reduce chances of label-overlap
>   r             at cost of up to 90-degrees off: rotate it in your head, or rotate your head,
>   o               or rotate your device, or spin some fingers to rotate the viewport

Also a nice idea, but we wanted to avoid vertical text, as it decreases
the readability of the visualization.

> also D3 can do force-directed placement of labels so they don't overlap

Yes, that's true, but it has other side effects. However, we will see
what we can do here.

Cheers,
Steffen

--
Dr. Steffen Lohmann . Visualization and Interactive Systems (VIS)
University of Stuttgart . Universitaetstrasse 38 . D-70569 Stuttgart